Notice of extention of temporary closure
Monographs on Kazama Sachiko and Shitamichi Motoyuki published
Notice of temporary closure
Tokyo Contemporary Art Awards2021-2023 Award winners and Symposium Announced!
“EXHIBITION” page was released !
Interview with an award winner
Award winner’s “Support for Activities Overseas” page was released !
Tokyo Contemporary Art Award 2021-2023 Committee members were selected
- Notice of extention of temporary closure
- The Tokyo Contemporary Art Award (TCAA) was established by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and Tokyo Arts and Space (Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo, Tokyo Metropolitan Foundation for History and Culture) in 2018 as a contemporary art prize for mid-career artists who have been active or based in Japan whose work, including work developed overseas, inspires expectations of potential for even greater achievements. Particular importance is given to the need to provide the best possible support at the optimal time in the artist’s career. The selection process includes research on the artists and visits to their studios by members of the international selection committee, to deepen their understanding of the artist’s thinking, style, and career stage.
The two recipients of the award will receive two years of continuous support, including, in addition to funding for overseas activities, the opportunity to show their work at the Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo and the publication of a monograph (in Japanese and English) that would make possible concrete provision of information about the artist abroad.【Award Details】
1) Monetary prize: ¥3,000,000
2) Support for overseas activities: Up to ¥1,000,000 (travel, accommodation, research and production expenses)
3) An award exhibition presenting the results of the two years of support, to be held at the Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo
4) Publication of a monograph
- Organized by
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government and Tokyo Arts and Space (Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo, Tokyo Metropolitan Foundation for History and Culture)
- The International Selection Committee
- Sofía Hernández Chong CUY (Director, Kunstinstituut Melly)
SUMITOMO Fumihiko (Director, Arts Maebashi / Associate Professor, Graduate School of Tokyo University of the Arts)
TAKAHASHI Mizuki (Executive Director and Chief Curator, CHAT （Centre for Heritage, Arts and Textile))
Carol Yinghua LU (Director, Beijing Inside-Out Art Museum)
WASHIDA Meruro (Director, Towada Art Center)
KONDO Yuki (Program Director, Tokyo Arts and Space)
- How the artists are selected
- A call for applications is issued in June of fiscal 2020 and the list of applicants is sent to international selection committee with a request for nominations, including the applicants. Following discussion, the selection committee finalizes the list of nominated artists. Selection of the two recipients of the award follows research on nominated artists, studio visits, and interviews.
‘Tokyo Contemporary Art Award 2021-2023’ Selection Secretariat
Arts Initiative Tokyo [AIT]